(copy 1)

Made with love
since 1806.

Niederegger was founded by the pastry chef Johann Georg Niederegger in 1806. He was responsible for the company’s rise to fame and the worldwide reputation still enjoyed by Niederegger marzipan to this day.

In the 200 years since its opening, Café Niederegger, situated in the heart of Lübeck, has become the secret landmark of this Hanseatic town.

(copy 2)

1806
1822
1832
1856
1864
1871
1873
1895
1908
1927
1930
1942
1947
1948
1958
1962
1986
1999
2003
2006
2008
2013
2016
prev
next

1806

Johann Georg Niederegger, a pastry chef born in Ulm in 1777, takes over Maret Confectionery.

1822

Johann Georg Niederegger acquires the original premises in Breite Strasse opposite the Rathaus steps. He is more successful than the rest of his fellow pastry chefs and becomes a member of the Lübeck Merchants’ Association.

1832

Niederegger is designated Lübeck’s leading pastry chef.

1856

Johann Georg Niederegger celebrates the 50th anniversary of the business in grand style. Six months later, the dynamic company founder dies; he is succeeded by his son-in-law, Karl Georg Barth (1804 – 1884).  By this time, Niederegger is already supplying the court of the Russian czars – every export box bears the initials of the company founder: J.G.N.

1864

The company is under the management of Wilhelm Köpff (1838 – 1895). He too comes from Ulm. He boosts sales by introducing machine-based production methods for marzipan and by undertaking business travel.

1871

The premises in Breite Strasse are converted. Nine years later, the annex in Hüxstrasse is purchased by Niederegger; a patisserie including a café and reading room is created.

1873

Niederegger marzipan from Lübeck wins an award at the World Exhibition in Vienna.

1895

Köpff’s son Johann Georg Leonard (1865 – 1931) is responsible for running the firm. He extends the café to its present size by converting the 1st floor of the original premises. Niederegger marzipan amasses prizes and medals for its outstanding quality.

1908

Niederegger becomes supplier to the court of the German Kaiser.

1927

Carl Arthur Strait (1884 – 1960), the Danish son-in-law, becomes head of Niederegger. Prof. Mahlau creates the corporate design still used today: logo and Lübeck landmarks in white, red and gold.

1930

A modern marzipan factory is built in Ziethenstrasse. Increasing use is made of machines for manufacturing and moulding the raw marzipan mixture.

1942

The Café is destroyed by bombing; the company archive goes up in flames.

1947

The Strait sons Jürgen (1921 – 1963) and Henning (1926 – 2009) become co-shareholders.

1948

The café is rebuilt in the same spot.

1958

Another three-storey factory building is erected in Ziethenstrasse. Sales are bolstered by sales reps and importers.

1962

Work starts on the construction of the new marzipan production facility in Zeissstrasse, which is continually extended over a period of several decades.

1986

Holger Strait (born in 1949) and his wife Angelika take over the management of the Niederegger business following the departure of Strait’s uncle. They invest in production plant, excellent warehousing facilities and modern communication systems in order to steer the company safely into the new millennium.

1999

The Marzipan Salon is opened in Breite Strasse.

2003

The factory outlet is opened in Zeissstrasse.

2006

Niederegger celebrates its 200th anniversary. Marzipan made with love since 1806.

2008

The Arkadencafé opposite our original café opens its doors in Breite Strasse.

2013

The café in Breite Strasse shines in new splendour. Tradition meets modernity.

2016

Daughters Antonie Strait and Theresa Mehrens-Strait join the business and have been managing partners in it ever since.